Licensing our products
You might already know our website www.kenhub.com operated by Kenhub GmbH (Kenhub, we, us, our). We provide extensive resources such as videos, images and an atlas regarding the human anatomy (content) for teaching and studying purposes to individuals, organizations, associations and businesses worldwide (Licensees, you).
The following license conditions govern the relationship between you and us if you wish to purchase and use our content and will answer the most relevant of your legal related questions in this regard. Read them carefully.
What types of licenses can I purchase?
There are three types of licenses: Science, Education and Commerce. The right type for you depends on what you intend to do with our content. Each type also differentiates between a smaller standard license and a more extensive extended license.
If we or you are unsure which type of license is right for you, Kenhub may decide the appropriate type. We may also make exceptions to these terms or if none of our licenses fit your needs. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A “Science License” may be acquired for the following personal academic purposes:
- papers that you or your employees require to receive academic titles such as dissertations, thesis and habilitation treatises but exclusively non-profit (standard Science License)
- publishing your own research for the scientific discourse (including for-profit, but not educational purposes) via papers, journals, books, posters, presentations at scientific conferences, social media, websites and blog posts (extended Science License)
“Education Licenses” are limited to course material from providers of live courses for a limited number of students for educational purposes only. The following criteria must be met:
- Licensed by course providers such as universities, schools, teachers or yoga studios
- for course material such as handouts or presentations (limited to the number of course participants)
- the course participants are students (independent learners, not employees)
- for educational purposes, i.e. teaching by the teacher(s) and studying by the student(s)
- for live courses (at least 60% of the course needs to be mandatory "live", e.g. in physical presence or via synchronous education).
A standard Education License covers usage of the licensed products by one teacher with an audience of up to 500 students per year, whereas an extended Education License covers usage by up to 100 teachers with a combined audience of up to 50,000 students per year.
A “Commerce License” may be acquired for any other usages than those mentioned under Science and Education License, especially reselling purposes as:
- books and book illustrations,
- magazines, newspapers and periodicals,
- editorial uses,
- broadcast video,
- video products (e.g. online courses and prerecorded classes),
- public performances,
- electronic publications,
- educational posters,
- website and social media use,
- employee training and education
The usage of content on physical merchandise (e.g. posters, mugs, t-shirts) is not permitted.
A standard Commerce License covers:
- Reproduction of content in book illustrations, electronic publications, covers, magazines, newspapers, periodicals and posters up to 10,000 times
- Using the content for broadcast video, film, video products or public performances to an audience of up to 10,000 people
- Using the content on websites and social media pages, where all pages showing the images, together accumulate up to 100,000 pageviews per year
An extended Commerce License covers
- Reproduction of content in book illustrations, electronic publications, covers, magazines, newspapers, periodicals and posters more than 10,000 times
- Using the content for broadcast video, film, video products or public performances to an audience of more than 10,000 people
- Using the content on websites, where all pages showing the images, together accumulate more than 100,000 pageviews per year
Who cannot purchase or use a license?
A license can neither be purchased nor used by any competitor to Kenhub. Competitors are online educational service providers for anatomy, histology, medical imaging and physiology who offer unrestricted access or automatic registration or allow over 50,000 students per year.
What happens when I purchase a license?
- If you purchase one of our licenses, Kenhub grants you the rights of usage as described in point 2 below. Please do not use the content in a different way than the license you purchased permits. If rights are not expressly granted in this agreement, they are reserved by Kenhub.
- After the purchase you will receive an order confirmation with a link to the content in order to download it. The license covers any content sent to you via this email.
- The license is non-exclusive (simple), which means you acquire only a simple right to use the content for yourself. We are still entitled to use the content for ourselves and to grant further licenses to others.
- You are not allowed to transfer the license, in whole or in part, or sublicense it to any third party without having acquired our prior written consent.
- Please also do not:
• Pass yourself off as the creator of the content
• Display, use or reproduce the content in unlawful use
• Incorporate the content into a trademark, design mark, service mark, tradename, business name or logo.
- Upon our request you are required to disclose and substantiate your records and data files or give us access to your services and/or documents so we can check that all restrictions relating to your type of license are met. Anonymization is permitted to the extent necessary to comply with applicable data protection laws.
How do I make use of the content?
- Every time you use our content, it needs to be accompanied by a credit to us similar to the following form: “Image used under license from Kenhub GmbH. Illustrator: <name>”.
- If no such credit is used, we see ourselves obliged to claim an additional fee equal to the original amount invoiced, unless you are not responsible for the breach of this obligation.
How much does it cost?
- You will find prices for our various types of licenses on the product page of each respective illustration.
- All prices are in the currency displayed and might get converted into your local currency during checkout. Inside the EU all prices include statutory taxes such as VAT. You might have to pay other applicable taxes, customs, or duties imposed by other jurisdictions.
- We use the Shopify platform to run our store. Shopify accepts a variety of payment methods depending on your settings while browsing our store, such as credit card, PayPal, Meta Pay, Amazon Pay, and Apple Pay. Payments are due in advance.
- Any license granted by us is valued at 50% of its net purchase price per any additional individual non-commercial user and 250% per any additional individual commercial user. If you grant sub-licenses without authorization or facilitate or enable license breaches by others, we need to be compensated based on above values per actual breach, unauthorized license or per additional user. Damage claims are unaffected by this, but compensation payments received by Kenhub shall be set off against any such claims.
How long does my contract last?
Licenses are purchased for 10 (ten) years, but you and us are both allowed to cancel the contract prior for good cause. §§ 2, 4.2, 5.4 and 8 through 10 shall, however, survive the end of the contract.
Do I have a right of withdrawal?
Yes, if you are a consumer, currently residing in the EU and only using Kenhub for personally learning medical related topics, you do have a right of withdrawal.
(Disclaimer: Our lawyer made us include the following paragraphs.)
Instructions on withdrawal
Right of withdrawal
You have the right to withdraw from this contract within 14 days without giving any reason. The withdrawal period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract. To exercise the right of withdrawal, you must inform us (Kenhub GmbH, Wurzner Str. 154a, 04318 Leipzig. Germany, Telefon: +49 30 568 381 85, E-Mail: email@example.com) of your decision to withdraw from this contract by an unequivocal statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, fax or email). You may use the attached model withdrawal form, but it is not obligatory.
Model withdrawal form
To meet the withdrawal deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right of withdrawal before the withdrawal period has expired.
Effects of withdrawal
If you withdraw from this contract, we shall reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (with the exception of the supplementary costs resulting from your choice of a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us), without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which we are informed about your decision to withdraw from this contract. We will carry out such reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement.
If you made use of our services during the withdrawal period, you shall pay us an amount (calculated as a proportion of the cost of full contractual coverage) that corresponds to the amount of time you used our services until communicating your withdrawal from this contract.
Model Withdrawal Form (Only complete and return this form if you wish to withdraw from the contract.)
– To Kenhub GmbH, Wurzner Str. 154a, 04318 Leipzig. Germany, phone: +49 30 568 381 85, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org:
– I/We (*) hereby give notice that I/We (*) are withdrawing from my/our (*) contract of purchase of the following goods (*)/for the provision of the following service (*),
– Ordered on (*)/received on (*),
– Name of consumer(s),
– Address of consumer(s),
– Signature of consumer(s) (only required if this form is sent by post or fax),
(*) Delete as appropriate.
What is Kenhub's liability and how is it limited?
- We assure you that
• We alone are entitled to decide on the content and the licenses over it;
• we have no knowledge of any protected rights belonging to third parties that would prevent the issuance of a license;
• we are not aware of any legal defects in the licenses or any dependence on property rights of third parties.
- Apart from that, Kenhub does not assume any further warranties or representations as to the content. We can neither guarantee the validity nor the accuracy of content provided on Kenhub, but we work closely together with experts in every field to make sure you get the most accurate content. If you spot a mistake, please let us know and we will carefully review and fix as soon as we can.
- We are fully liable for all damages that are grossly negligently or deliberately caused by us, our legal representatives, executive staff or vicarious agents as well as for at least slightly negligently caused damages from bodily injuries.
- Our liability for damages caused by a slight negligent breach of major contractual obligations is limited to damages which are typical to this kind of contract. We are not liable for damages caused by a slight negligent breach of minor contractual obligations. A major contractual obligation is one that is essential to the execution of the contract and that you as a customer may and do typically rely on.
- If there are any claims and damages by third parties arising out of product liability (that is regarding any products you have made using our content), it will be up to you to indemnify us against them.
Who helps me if we disagree about an issue?
Should you and us need help resolving contractual disputes about your online purchases out-of-court at a low cost in a simple and fast way, we might reach out to the online dispute resolution platform of the European Commission which you can find here http://ec.europa.eu/odr. We do not participate in other dispute resolution procedures.
What else do I need to know?
- This contract is subject to German Law without the CISG provisions. However, you will not be deprived of the protection afforded to you by provisions of the law of the country where you have your habitual residence.
- If you are a merchant or a legal person under public law, the exclusive place of jurisdiction for all disputes regarding this contract and its execution is Leipzig, Germany.
Some of the clearest and easiest to understand anatomy images I was coming across were all from Kenhub, so I started using them exclusively for our anatomy lessons.
Athletic Trainer, Montwood High School, El Paso, Texas